How to Fix: Windows Mail + Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F + GoDaddy Mail Server
When checking email via Windows Mail to the GoDaddy Mail Server you may receive the following error;
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
inactivity. Account: ‘Your Mail Account‘, Server: ‘pop.secureserver.net‘,
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error
This issue may be due to Vista’s AutoTuning of the TCP stack for performance. You can try the following;
1. Click on the Vista start orb and type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. The search results will display a program named cmd.exe
3. Right-click on the link and select “Run as administrator”
4. After the command prompt window opens, type “netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled” without the quotation marks, then press Enter.
5. Test your POP account and see if you can download your mail now.
6. If nothing changes, re-enable the autotuning feature by typing “netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal”